Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 14 of "The 31 Days of Lor-cipies"
My Christmas Gift to You

I'll finish up my Christmas shopping today (God willing), and I know I won't feel like cooking after THAT! So I'm putting my trusty slow cooker to use. Again. And sharing the recipe with you, because I know your December day will be just as hectic. If you decide to test it, take a picture before your family digs in, and share it at my Facebook author page as your entry in the "Win a $100 Basket of Maryland Stuff" contest (drawing on January 1st)!

And now, without further adieu, LOREE'S PIGS IN BLANKETS

 
 
(Yes, the photo is a joke. But I just couldn't help myself!) Enjoy:
 


Ingredients:

6 cups water
12 large cabbage leaves
1 pound lean ground beef
½ cup cooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
3 cups tomato sauce (divided in half)

Directions:

Spray slow cooker with Pam
Bring water to boil and turn off. Soak cabbage leaves in water 5 minutes. Remove, drain, and cool
Combine ground beef, rice, and spices in a large bowl. Mix well.
Place 3 tablespoons of meat mixture onto each cabbage leaf. Roll tightly
Place cabbage rolls into slow cooker, seam side down
Pour half the tomato sauce over rolls
Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours
Before serving, warm remaining sauce and pour over rolls
Serve with green vegetables and a side salad!
 
THIS is what the dish will really look like:
 
 

No comments: